Leftover Cranberry Sauce Coffee Cake Recipe: In the event that you have cranberry sauce that needs to be used up, the ideal thing to bake is a baked good called leftover cranberry coffee cake. The cake is moist and delicious all around, with jumbo lumps of almond streusel, a ribbon of sweet cranberry swirl in the center, and sweet cranberry swirl ribbon. After Thanksgiving or Christmas breakfast, whichever comes first. Assumed. Please tell me that calories don’t count on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, right? I’m asking for your help.
Leftover Cranberry Sauce Coffee Cake Recipe
It is the ideal thing to serve for breakfast the following morning, and this coffee cake with orange cinnamon cranberry sauce is the perfect thing to serve! Following the completion of the process of setting aside a small portion of the cranberry sauce for your moist-maker sandwich, you can use the remaining sauce to make a homemade cranberry coffee cake.
It is topped with crunchy almonds and a sprinkle of orange zest, which works wonderfully with the cranberry sauce that is located in the middle. Additionally, can we just say that those enormous lumps of streusel topping are going to blow your mind? You are about to experience a warm, cozy, and Christmasy aroma throughout your entire home. Just a warm cup of coffee or even a London fog latte to accompany this cake is all that is truly required of you at this point.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup EACH: light brown sugar AND granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon EACH: baking soda AND kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup leftover cranberry sauce (or store-bought)
How to make it
- Prepare the topping consisting of the crumb. Using a fork, combine the almonds, salt, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until everyone is evenly distributed. Using a fork is the most effective method because, after adding the melted butter, you can rake it and create crumbs with it.
- Don’t worry about the fact that it will produce very large crumbs; once it has cooled down, you will be able to break the crumbs up as required. Perform preparatory work. Initially, the oven should be preheated. In addition to that, you will need to spray a springform pan measuring 9 inches with cooking spray. In most cases, I also line the springform pan with parchment paper, but this step is not required. Discard this for the time being.
- The dry ingredients should be combined. Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt in a small bowl and mix them together. Combine all of these ingredients, then put them to the side until you are ready to incorporate them into the whipped butter mixture. Get the batter ready. In a bowl, beat the butter that has been softened until it becomes airy. Once that is done, add the granulated sugar along with the orange zest. Until the sugar and butter are completely incorporated, mix together.
- The next step is to add the eggs, one at a time, and wait until the first one is completely incorporated before adding the next one. Mix vanilla extract and almond extract together to impart flavor to the cake. After that, we will add the dry ingredients, alternating them with the sour cream and the milk before adding them in batches. It is recommended to begin by incorporating half of the dry ingredients into the mixer.
- Next, proceed to incorporate the sour cream, dry ingredients, milk, and finally, the remaining dry ingredients. It is my preference to use a rubber spatula to stir the batter by hand towards the end of the process. This helps to ensure that the batter is not over-mixed. Prepare a cake by baking it. Half of the batter should be poured into the springform pan that has been prepared. Dollopfuls of the cranberry sauce should be placed on top of the cake batter.
- And last but not least, cover the cranberry sauce with the remaining cake batter. After dusting the cake with the crumb topping that has been prepared, place it in the oven and bake it until a skewer that has been inserted in the center comes out cleaned. The crumbs are fine; the only thing you should avoid is getting wet batter on the skewer. Using a wire rack, allow the springform pan to cool.
Q1. Can you add icing or glaze to this coffee cake?
You are free to drizzle it on top of the finished product if you so desire. Put together a mixture of a quarter cup of powdered sugar and a few teaspoons of milk. To begin, add one teaspoon, and continue to add more as required. In order to prevent the confectioners’ sugar from becoming overly liquid, you should proceed with caution and only add the amount that is required. When the glaze is thinner, it will run off the coffee cake more than it would otherwise!
Q2. How do you make fancy cranberry sauce?
There is a homemade cranberry sauce that you can find here! To give it a more sophisticated appearance, you can add vanilla, fresh herbs, and a wide variety of other ingredients. Both a version that can be cooked on the stovetop in a saucepan and one that can be prepared in a slow cooker are included in the instructions.
Q3. How long does homemade cranberry sauce last?
It is possible to store any leftover cranberry sauce in the refrigerator for a period of seven to ten days. You are free to make this cake a full week after Thanksgiving if that is what you would like to do from now on!